Thursday, June 6, 2013

June Prize Basket

 
Hannah
 When I was thirty, I found myself sitting in a recliner with a newborn at the breast, a three year old on my lap and a five year old sitting on the arm of the chair beside me.  One arm wrapped around baby with her head in my hand and the other hand holding a story book.  At that time, when Hannah said it was time to eat, my other little girls knew it was story time for them.
     Hannah was (and still is) a cuddley girl.  She wanted to eat at least every two hours, and could see no reason why she couldn't sleep in my arms or at least be held until the next feeding time.  I am not going to say she was needy, but she was over a year old before she walked and I don't believe anyone else was allowed to pick her up or hold her until she was well over 18 months old.  I was a frazzled, tired mess for the next few years after Hannah arrived.
     When you have little kids in the home, you don't stop moving all day long.  From the time your feet hit the floor in the morning, until you finally have them all down for the night, you are in constant motion feeding, bathing, cleaning house, doing laundry, planning meals....the list goes on and on.  And though, I was thankful for the times Hannah required me to sit down and nurse her, it always seemed like there was something I needed that I had forgotten to pick up before I sat down.  Now don't get me wrong, the little girls sitting in the chair with me, loved to be "big helpers" and grab blankets, wipes, diapers, etc. but once the story book was opened they no longer volunteered to help.  It was at this time in my life that I came up with the Breastfeeding Survival Basket.  I cannot tell you how many steps or how much time this basket saved me, but save me it did!  I filled a basket full of diapers, wipes, diaper cream, nursing pads and Lansinoh cream and sat it beside my chair.  Each time Hannah wanted to eat, I grabbed a glass of ice water and my girls grabbed their book of choice.  By the time my fourth baby arrived, the survival basket was a permanent fixture on the side table.  This was probably a good thing, since Hayden didn't mind if we sat in the recliner all day long nursing and rocking.  In those days I think the only time I got out of my chair was to go to the bathroom and feed kids.  
     So, thinking back to those days, gave me an awesome idea for you all.  I have put together a Breastfeeding Survival Basket for this month's prize.  It will help bring a little peace if not organization to the chaos of having a newborn.
Breastfeeding Survival Basket

As always, if you would like to enter the drawing, just let me know.  I just need name, address, phone, email, and due date.

24 hour Breast Feeding Helpline: 417-315-2135
Email: volckt@lpha.mopublic.org
Or stop by the Polk County Health Center.  I would love to talk with you!

Good luck !!




No comments:

Post a Comment